New Jersey Drivers License Change of Address Requirements
Have you recently moved to a new residence in New Jersey? The state Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) requires you to process an address change on your New Jersey drivers license as soon as possible. Fortunately, all you need to do for a New Jersey drivers license change of address is to notify your local MVC. Select from the options below to get started.
Online application assistance can simplify the process for many DMV related services, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to the free forms and general instructions available from the DMV offices or websites, you will receive a comprehensive Easy Guide" containing information relevant to your service needs. Where possible, we will prepare your DMV forms and/or provide links to DMV online services. Via our partners at Road America, you will also receive 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service. In addition, you will be able to take advantage of a free membership to DMV Advisors, a state-specific help desk prepared to answer any driver-related questions or concerns you may have. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.
2: By mail, if eligible
Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.
3: Via a local MVC office
If you prefer to access DMV services in person or your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at a physical DMV office location. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your local DMV allows you to make a personal appointment. Read more below to see if an in-person visit is either preferred or required.
Once you have moved to New Jersey, you must replace your driver license within 60 days or before your current license expires. New Jersey drivers can change their address on their license either online or in person.
To change the address on your New Jersey drivers license online, you will need to do the following:
- Complete the online form provided by the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.
- Make sure you have your Social Security Number (SSN) on hand, as you will be required to provide it as a form of identification.
- After filling out a request for address change online, you will receive a confirmation letter within three weeks along with stickers stating your new address.
- The stickers will need to be pasted on the back of your current license and vehicle registration. You will not be issued a new driver license.
In order to change the address on your New Jersey license in person, you must:
- Visit the nearest New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission office with your current driver license and legitimate documents that will help pass the Six-Point ID and address verification procedure.
- If you hold a valid, non-provisional driver license issued by any of the 50 states or the District of Columbia, you will not need to take the required knowledge and road tests.
- However, you will be required to turn in your old license to the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.
Once you have received your new license, it will be valid for four years.
Changing Your Address When Moving From Another State
If you have recently moved from another state, you might want to consider acquiring a new license in order to reflect your new address. For more information on changing your address on your new drivers license, click here.
- Change your address on your New Jersey CDL license here.
- Change your address on your New Jersey Car Title here.
- Change your address on your New Jersey Car Registration here.