New Jersey Salvage Title

In the state of New Jersey, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your auto is in an accident. If your insurance company takes possession of the vehicle, they are required to apply for a Salvage Title. If you as the owner retain possession, you will have to acquire a NJ Salvage Title. Please note that all salvage vehicles must be titled in New Jersey regardless if you restore the automobile or not.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.

3: Via a DMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

Apply for a New Jersey Salvage Vehicle Title

To apply for a title on a salvaged car in New Jersey, you will have to show up in person at a designated MVC title location. Click here for a list of the approved salvage title agency locations. You will need to bring your original certificate of title and documentation of the automobile being a total loss from your insurance company.

Once these steps are completed you can submit the Salvage Title Application along with paying the appropriate titling fees.

From New Jersey Salvage Vehicle Title to Standard Vehicle Title

In New Jersey, to convert a salvage title to a standard title on an eight years or older vehicle (that does not need an inspection), you must collect all of the following documents:

  • Salvage Title
  • $60 title fee
  • Before and after photos of your vehicle (all sides)
  • Receipts for parts with full vehicle description, year, make and VIN
  • Your work order
  • Damage report from your insurance company

Once you have all the paperwork in order, mail them to:

NJVMC Special Title Unit
PO Box 017
Trenton, NJ 08666-0017

If you have any questions, call 609-292-6500 ext. 5063.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in New Jersey

An abandoned vehicle title in New Jersey can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it in New Jersey, you must first contact local New Jersey law authorities, and give them the location of the vehicle. Once you report the vehicle, you can then request an application packet from the MVC Agency's Special Title Section.

When putting in your request, state if you found the automobile on public or private property. To obtain your packet and start the process, contact:

NJMVC Special Title Section
P.O. Box 017
Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0017
Phone: (609) 292-6500 ext. 5069.